The media did something good!

I think that the media actually did something good this week in their reporting on Donald Trump’s religious values initiative. The media is supposed to be the watchdog of the government and report on their biased and corrupt practices. That is what CNN has done with this article, they lay out what Donald Trump has said and exposed the unconstitutionality of what he is saying and proposing as a policy.

Our nation has the First Amendment to keep religion out of government decision making because they saw how corrupt a religious run government can be. For the leader of the country to be making statements like “We are stopping cold the attacks on Judeo-Christian values" is a problem. I would be curious to see what secular purpose this would serve, or how a statement such as this does not cause excessive entanglement of the government in religion (which are components of the standard for the government to be involved in something religious).


So good job CNN on reporting on the facts of an issue and making the public aware of an issue that threatens the standards that our country is founded on. I was not able to find a Fox News article that reports on this same issue. This shows the political bias that exists in our media. The political leanings of a news station should not influence their reporting to the extent that they fail to report on a major attack on our Constitutional rights because of their political leanings. 

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/14/politics/donald-trump-religious-conservatives-appeals/index.html

Comments

  1. Blake, I agree, wholeheartedly. We should keep a separation of church and state, especially with the amount of political instability that is going on right now. I think that if we hold our public officials accountable for these types of improper statements, we are allowing ourselves to stay away from oppressive regimes like the one you mentioned in the past. Overall, your blog hits this and points out a big flaw in media bias today. Hopefully, FOX news will see the error in their ways and will start reporting on things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Blake! You are right, the church and state should be two separate ideas. I think this is the main problem with media biases today, and it is slowly starting to show on major political leaders that we look to for guidance. Hopefully FOX will take the hint, and try to fix their media bias.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Blake! I also agree with my fellow classmates regarding Trumps actions. Church and state should be two separate ideas. Your article really highlighted how bias new sources can be especially about touchy topics as this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Blake! Great post. This is an interesting post. However, I want to offer an alternative idea. I am not sure if I agree that church and state should be separate. I think it should be reformed, but separated? I don't think so. I believe that our nation was founded on some *biblical* principles. Maybe I just feel like this because God is mentioned so option. This is definitely just an idea. I'm not sure as I am still learning. However, I really enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Walls Foundation

The definition of Terrorism

Is ESPN qualified to talk politics?